Learning about refugee and asylum issues (for all staff)
- Future Learn online course for volunteers working with people from refugee backgrounds.
- Human Rights: The Rights of Refugees Take an edX course to support your teaching. Amnesty International
- Teaching about refugees. UNHCR
- My Bright Kite This organisation provides training for institutions working with children from refugee backgrounds and workshops about personal lived experience as refugees
Best practice in schools: Supporting the needs of students from refugee backgrounds
- UNHCR advice for teachers on including students from refugee background in the classroom covers areas such as stress, trauma and language acquisition. Case studies
- ‘Best practice’ advice on supporting refugee children from SecEd
- Clear and practical advice from the Children’s Society
- Refugee Week also suggests a number of books about how to incorporate refugee and asylum issues into the curriculum. Look under ‘Further Resources’.
- Access to Education article covering the differences in the UK from the Asylum Information Database
- Government (England) guidance on handling applications from overseas children
- Coping Skills for Kids General mental health advice on anxiety, stress and anger
- Health and Wellbeing – Learn how to Learn My Way – Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online to make doctors appointments online, order repeat prescriptions and find advice on specific health conditions